Wednesday 17 February 2016

5 Films to look forward to in 2016

In no particular order, here are some of the films I'm looking forward to seeing in 2016.

1) Jason Bourne

Now I know this series has been done to death but I loved the original trilogy, I have to admit I've never watched the reboot (y'know the one without Matt Damon) but now that Damon is back on board I'm looking forward to seeing what a new Bourne film could bring. I'm hoping they manage to inject a new lease of life into the franchise and with the names they have on board it's looking likely. Alicia Vikander is set to star in the film, who's performance in The Danish Girl really caught my attention. Paul Greengrass who directed the other Bourne films is once again directing and Co writing with Damon and Julia Stiles and Tommy Lee Jones are also among the star studded cast. I've always really enjoyed Paul Greengrass' style of direction, the shaky camera and the sense of realism and urgency in his films creates so much tension. I challenge anyone to watch Captain Phillips and not feel in the teeniest bit on edge. I've heard his style described as 'docu realist' which I feel sums it up perfectly. His influence on action thriller films since the Bourne films were released is clear to see, just go and watch any of the latest Bond films.


Release date: 29th July


2) Alice Through the Looking Glass

This one's a funny choice, I didn't actually like Tim Burton's re imagining of Alice in Wonderland, in fact I found it very disappointing, this follow up however has a new director so may in turn be a very different sequel. I love the books and the Disney adaptation, which kind of has elements of both books, so I look forward to anything to do with the stories in the hope that I'll enjoy it just as much. I'm still looking forward to seeing this film despite the first because Through the Looking Glass has some great characters (humpty dumpty, the unicorn..) and I'd like to see them brought to life on the big screen. Often it's only 'In Wonderland' that people choose to adapt for television or film.


Release date: 27th May


3) The Witch

A good horror film is hard to come by. I often skip on horror films nowadays because of this. Genres such as Thriller or Drama feel as though they have a constant stream of good inventive films to check out, however looking for a something that's not just your usual cheap jump scare affair can be much more difficult. Despite the short comings of many modern horror films, The Witch looks very promising. Set in 1630 in New England it tells the story of a family who's newborn son goes missing whilst being watched by their eldest daughter, who is then suspected of witchcraft. The film follows the family into a descent of suspicion and paranoia as they suspect the involvement of Withcraft and become prey to a force of evil. The film won the Directing award at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival and looks set to be one to look out for upon release.


Release: 11th March



4) Silence

Martin Scorsese has been quoted as saying he only has a couple of films left he wants to make and if that's true this may be one of his final films. That alone is enough reason to anticipate this release. Scorsese has directed some of my favourite films (The Departed, Taxi Driver...) and I look forward to any film he comes out with because he has cemented himself in my mind already as one of the greatest directors alive. Silence is based on a novel of the same name written by Shusaku Endo about two Catholic priests who face a violent persecution when they travel to Japan to spread the message of Christianity and meet their mentor. Scorsese has been reportedly working on the project since 1991.

I couldn't find a release date or a trailer for this one yet so I'm guessing it will be out much later on than the rest.


5) Suicide Squad

I'm not huge on comic books at all but I do like Batman a lot and the villains of the Batman DC universe. The film has a big names cast, notably Jared Leto as the Joker, who looks perfect for the role. This one has received a lot of hype and the expectations seems to have been set very high, so we'll see how it lives up to it but the trailer certainly makes it look fun!

The premise : A secret government agency recruits imprisoned super villains to execute dangerous black ops missions in exchange for clemency.




Release date: 5th August



There we have it, 5 films I'm looking forward to this year, quite a mixed bag. What are 5 of yours?









No comments:

Post a Comment